Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Let The Past Be The Past

"You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one."

Isn't that the truth?

Time after time, I find myself thinking about and reanalyzing the past. "I wish I would've done this, or if I could go back I'd do this..."

But that's impossible and you can't change what happened as much as you want to, as we all know.

The truth is, even if we were to go back in time and say what we wish we would've said, or not said the thing we did say, how much would it change our current situation?

There are situations being played on replay in my head, and in those situations I would act differently or say something more profound or not say anything at all, but I know that deep down, what I did do or what I did say brought me to the place I needed to be.

Whether that place was a new job, a new relationship, or a new friendship, I was always in the place I needed to be.

When I think back to the previous chapters in my life, it was the things that hurt the most and that I wish I could change that actually brought me to the best places in my life. Break ups and heartbreak, being broke to no end, or even a fight with a friend....I think about them and as much as they hurt and as much as they left me feeling broken, I learned some of the biggest lessons of my life.

Funny how that works huh?

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I know that God has his wonderful ways that as humans, we can't even comprehend. He puts us in the right places, at the right times, with the right people, and we don't even think about it while it's happening.

We think we know what is best for us, and we think that we can avoid all of the bad in our lives. But what if the bad is supposed to happen? What if it is only from the bad that we can learn some of life's most valuable lessons?

It's a joke between my husband and I that we wish we would've met when we were little. We wish that we could've shared all of the monumental moments in our lives together instead of filling each other in on them now. But honestly, we weren't ready to be with each other back then, as much as I wish we could've been. There were lessons we needed to learn and people we needed to meet before we met.

It was because of all of my heartbreaks and all of my failed relationships that I learned what I wanted in a relationship and how I should act in a relationship. Without those lessons, I'd be a completely different person.

It's easy to re-open past chapters in our lives and think, if we would've just done that one thing, everything would be better now. But, we should really just accept our pasts for what they are...lessons. There's no need to dwell when we can just accept the past for what it is and move on with our lives.

My past may not look the prettiest as far as I'm concerned, but it has moved me forward to the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Everything happens for a reason, so let's embrace the present and make each new chapter better than the last, learning from the past chapters and nothing more than that, leaving them where they belong.





No comments:

Post a Comment