Monday, July 6, 2015

What is love?

My husband and I have a very special relationship. We love each other for who we are not who we want each other to be. This has been very clear from the beginning of our relationship. We were ourselves, never pretending to be something we weren't. If we got upset about something, we told each other. If we had a problem, we talked about it. We communicated, and always knew what our intentions were.

It was so easy. We didn't have to think about it....we just did it.

But, I used to think love was complicated.

We tend to make up rules and complicate things when it comes to relationships. We can't do this or that and we have a specific "type" of person we want. They have to look a certain way and act a certain way and if they don't add up to our specifications we won't look at them twice.

I used to try follow these complicated made-up rules. All it resulted in was my hiding my true self and acting like someone I never was. I never wanted to be myself in fear I wasn't guarding my heart enough, which led to me being afraid to be myself altogether. I read way too far into situations and tried to be the person I thought someone else wanted. I was afraid to share my thoughts and ideas in fear I would become too open.

I was complicating love, love wasn't being complicated.

Now, I couldn't be happier in my marriage, and it's because it's natural and it's real. We love each other with our whole hearts and minds and we don't complicate it.

If you have something to say, say it. If you're upset about something, talk about it. Share your hopes and your dreams. Don't hide who you are because someone else told you you weren't good enough. Be confident in who you are because the person you are supposed to be with will love everything about you.

Go with the flow.

Love deeply.

Love freely.





No comments:

Post a Comment